Menu
Search
Education
Law
WPCS 2.1.2
Type: Public Institution
Motto: Knowledge and Work
Affiliated to: AAU, ACU, HESA
Established: 1922
No of Students: 33,711
No of Staff: 4,712
Vice-Chancellor: Adam Habib
Campuses: Braamfontein campus & Parktown campus
Ranking: № 2 in Africa
Website: https://www.wits.ac.za/
  • Engineering

    Diploma Programmes
  • Technology

    Diploma Programmes
  • Technology

    Master's Programmes
  • Engineering

    PhD Programmes
  • Business

    Certificate Programmes
  • Science

    Certificate Programmes
  • Science

    Honours Programmes
  • Science

    Executive Programmes

More commonly known as Wits University, the University of the Witwatersrand was initially established in 1896 in Johannesburg as the South African school of mines. Wits University is a remarkable university that is internationally distinguished for its excellent research, high academic standards and commitment to social justice.
-The university has an enrolment of 38,353 students as of 2017, of which approximately 20 percent live on camp.. more

More commonly known as Wits University, the University of the Witwatersrand was initially established in 1896 in Johannesburg as the South African school of mines. Wits University is a remarkable university that is internationally distinguished for its excellent research, high academic standards and commitment to social justice.
-The university has an enrolment of 38,353 students as of 2017, of which approximately 20 percent live on campus in the university’s 22 residences. 65 percent of the university’s total enrolment is for undergraduate study, with the remaining 35 percent being postgraduate.
The 2017 Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) places Wits University, with its overall score, as the highest ranked university in Africa.
Wits University produces more millionaires than any other university in South Africa and their graduates have gone on to become global leaders in every field of endeavour
The great Nelson Mandela studied at this university.
Wits University is also the co-founder of the African Research Universities Alliance.

less

-The Wits medical school is one of the very best in Africa.
-Wits University houses the renowned Bidvest Stadium and owns one of the leading football clubs in South Africa called Bidvest Wits FC.
-Wits University hosts the second African IBM research laboratory, one of only 12 such mega-labs across the world.
-The Wits Art Museum, which is one of Johannesburg’s premier tourist attractions.
-Wits University has ultra-modern lecture halls, huge libraries, well equipped laboratori.. more

-The Wits medical school is one of the very best in Africa.
-Wits University houses the renowned Bidvest Stadium and owns one of the leading football clubs in South Africa called Bidvest Wits FC.
-Wits University hosts the second African IBM research laboratory, one of only 12 such mega-labs across the world.
-The Wits Art Museum, which is one of Johannesburg’s premier tourist attractions.
-Wits University has ultra-modern lecture halls, huge libraries, well equipped laboratories and leading international professors.
-Wits also has a super modern gym, comfortable student hostels and Olympic swimming pools.
-The University of the Witwatersrand has two main libraries namely; the Warteinweiler and William Cullen libraries on East Campus, and twelve branch libraries.

Wits is a research intensive university with 5 faculties encompassing the Sciences, Commerce, Law, Management, Engineering, Health Sciences, and Humanities. 65% of the student body are undergraduates and the remaining 35% are postgraduate students.
Over 85% of the research from Wits University is published in accredited international journals.

less

-SOUTH AFRICANS STUDENTS:
*Admission at Wits University for undergraduates is based on the Admission Point Score (APS) from the National Senior Certificate (NSC) matric. English must be taken either as Home Language or as 1st Additional Language. Maths is compulsory for all numerate programmes/courses in Engineering and Built Environment, Commerce, Law and Management, and Science. The APS.. more

-SOUTH AFRICANS STUDENTS:
*Admission at Wits University for undergraduates is based on the Admission Point Score (APS) from the National Senior Certificate (NSC) matric. English must be taken either as Home Language or as 1st Additional Language. Maths is compulsory for all numerate programmes/courses in Engineering and Built Environment, Commerce, Law and Management, and Science. The APS calculation is based on the best seven subjects including Life Orientation.
*Admission to a Bachelors with Honours programme requires a Bachelors degree or equivalent with 60% average or higher.
*Admission to a Masters programme requires a Bachelors with Honours degree from Wits University or another university.
*Admission to a PhD programme requires a Masters degree from Wits University or another university (a supervisor from the relevant faculty must be identified and approached prior to application).

-INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS:
*Admission at Wits University for undergraduates is based on senior secondary/high school certificate (e.g A-Levels, AS-Levels, WASSCE, IB Diploma etc) results.
*Admission requirements for Bachelors with Honours, Masters and PhD programmes is the same as for South Africans.

less

Johannesburg (also known as Jozi or Joburg) is the largest city in South Africa and the provincial capital of the Gauteng province which is the wealthiest province in South Africa. With a Metropolitan population of 9.8 million in 2017, Johannesburg is generally considered as the most developed city on the African continent. The headquarters of most of the biggest companies in Africa are located.. more

Johannesburg (also known as Jozi or Joburg) is the largest city in South Africa and the provincial capital of the Gauteng province which is the wealthiest province in South Africa. With a Metropolitan population of 9.8 million in 2017, Johannesburg is generally considered as the most developed city on the African continent. The headquarters of most of the biggest companies in Africa are located in Johannesburg.

-The metropolis is an alpha global city as listed by the Globalization and World Cities Research Network. In 2011, the population of the city of Johannesburg was 4,434,827, making it the most populous city in South Africa.[11] In the same year, the population of Johannesburg’s urban agglomeration was put at 7,860,781.[5] The land area of the municipal city (1,645 km2 or 635 sq mi) is large in comparison with those of other major cities, resulting in a moderate population density of 2,364 per square kilometre (6,120/sq mi).

less

Reviews (7)

Overall Score 4.7/10
(7 votes)
100% of reviewers recommend this school
{{ reviewsOverall }} / 10 TOTAL SCORE (7 votes)
Academic Quality
Campus Facilities
Social Life
What people are saying....
Sort by:

1-3 of

reviews

/ 10
User Avatar

from {{{ review.review_city}}}, {{{ review.review_country }}}

{{{ review.review_student_status}}} | {{{ review.review_question }}}
Verified
/ 10
{{{ review.rating_title }}}
{{{review.rating_comment}}}

{{ pageNumber+1 }}

Similar Schools

Key Officials

Is this your University? Claim it now
Make sure your information is up to date

Claim This Listing

Type: Public Institution
Motto: Knowledge and Work
Affiliated to: AAU, ACU, HESA
Established: 1922
No of Students: 33,711
No of Staff: 4,712
Vice-Chancellor: Adam Habib
Campuses: Braamfontein campus & Parktown campus
Ranking: № 2 in Africa
Website: https://www.wits.ac.za/

School Contacts

 
Admissions Office
We assists prospective students
Prof.
Testing 2
Manager 2

Campus Ambassadors

Barack Obama
Aerospace Engineering
1st Year Student

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. .. more

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industrys standard dummy text ever since the 1500, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book. It has survived not only five centuries. less

Narendra Modi
Chemical Engineering
2nd Year Student

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. .. more

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industrys standard dummy text ever since the 1500, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book. It has survived not only five centuries. less

Other Schools