|Tuition Fees:||$838 /year|
|Applications Begin:||May 2020|
|Final Award:||Bachelor of Solar Engineering|
|Start Date:||September 2020|
|Academic Unit:||Faculty of Engineering|
|Application Deadline:||September 2020|
What is the programme about?
Almost all experts agree that photovoltaic – the conversion of sun energy into electrical energy will be one of the most important energy suppliers on earth. Worldwide, the number of photovoltaic installations is growing from year to year.
In Ghana, solar energy is on top of the agenda. In 2015, the President’s Rooftop Solar PV initiative was announced. The Ministry of Power, through the Energy Commission, is implementing a Rooftop Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Programme in the country.
As of today, a number of rooftop solar systems of different capacities have been installed under different scenarios including the use of Net Meters which will enable the beneficiaries to sell electricity generated from solar systems back to the distribution companies who will credit the beneficiary with the supply. (The Energy Commission, Ghana, 2015)
To ensure Ghana has the skilled specialists for the manufacturing and application of photovoltaic components and systems, Ghana Technology University College offers a Solar Engineering programme (academic title Bachelor of Engineering).
This is a collaborative programme between GTUC and Anhalt University of Applied Sciences in Germany. It is a quality German bachelor degree fully provided in Ghana and adapted to the domestic requirements.
Students will learn about the basics and application of the natural and engineering sciences, get an introduction into photovoltaic technology basics, and learn about the handling of solar cells and solar module implementation into conventional and new energy systems.
Solar thermal systems are another subject of the programme. Furthermore, students will learn about presentation skills and get knowledge on the economy.
Graduates of the Bachelor programme will be awarded the academic title Bachelor of Engineering of Anhalt University of Applied Sciences.
Semester 1 (30 Credits)
– Mathematics 1
– Technical Mechanics 1
– Fundamentals of Electrical Engineering 1
Semester 2 (30 Credits)
– Mathematics 2
– Introduction into Photovoltaic
– Physics of Solar Cells
– Fundamentals of Material Engineering
– Fundamentals of Electrical Engineering 2
– Technical Mechanics 2
Semester 3 (30 Credits)
– Measurement and Control Technology
– Production Technology
– Thermodynamics and Fluid Dynamics
– Fundamentals of Informatics
– Solar Thermal Systems
– Computer Aided Design
Semester 4 (30 Credits)
– Elective Module I
– Soft Skills
– Solar Modules
– Fundamentals of Electrochemistry
– Power Electronics
– PV Systems in Theory and Practice 1
Semester 5 (30 Credits)
– Environmental Management
– Fundamentals of Automation
– Elective Module II
– PV Systems in Theory and Practice 2
– Team Project
– Professional Traineeship
Semester 6 (30 Credits)
– Professional Traineeship
– Technical Business Management (online)
– Bachelor Thesis
– Physics of Solar Cells 2
– Energy storage systems
– Solar Thermal Systems 2
– Solar Water Disinfection
– Solar Drying
– Statistical Design of Experiments
SSSCE / WASSCE – credit passes in core English, core Mathematics, Integrated Science and three (3) elective subjects relevant to the chosen programme with aggregate 24/36 or better. ‘A’ Level – credits in at least five (5) subjects at the GCE ‘O’ Level (or its equivalent) including English and Mathematics, plus at least two (2) passes in the relevant subjects at the ‘A’ Level.
International Baccalaureate (IB) / Diploma with Proficiency in English Language. Advanced Business Certificate Examination (ABCE) with passes in three (3) compulsory subjects, plus three (3) optional subjects relevant to the programme of study.
**Stage 1 of ACCA, ICA, Associate, Chartered Institute of Bankers (ACIB), Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM), with credits at GBCE or GCE ‘O’ Level including English Language and Mathematics.
**City & Guilds Technician Diploma/Advanced Diploma in relevant area of study. Foreign applicants and all others who have any of the above qualifications, or their equivalent, from an accredited/recognized institution can apply.
American Grade 12 School Certificate Higher National Diploma (HND) relevant to the programme of study from a recognized Polytechnic with at least Second Class (lower division) Verifiable Diplomas relevant to the programme of study from accredited tertiary institutions. These will be assessed on an individual basis.
**Applicants with these qualifications should verify their results with the National Accreditation Board (NAB).
– ‘O’ Level/ ‘A’ Level applicants who have attained the age of 25 years or above at the time of applying and have credits in five (5) GCE ‘O’ Level subjects including English Language and Mathematics. In addition, applicants must pass an entrance examination or interview.
– SSSCE/WASSCE applicants who have credits in three ( 3 ) core subjects including English, Mathematics, Integrated Science plus three (3) electives relevant to the chosen programme.
In addition to the completed admission forms, students are also expected to present
– Application fee
– Two passport sized pictures
– Official results slip/card/transcript
– Be 25 years of age or above at the time of applying.
– Show proof of age (Birth, Baptismal, Passport etc)
– Should pass an entrance examination; Maths English & General Paper.
Offline Application Procedure
Application forms for admission could be obtained at the GTUC Information Centre,
– GTUC – Adjacent Police Training School, Tesano, Accra
– Kumasi Campus Amanfrom – University Junction– Off the main Barekese Road,
– Koforidua Campus Charley Junction,
– Ho Learning Centre, Vodafone Regional Head Office,
– Takoradi Learning Centre, Vodafone Regional Office
– and at the website www.gtuc.edu.gh
Applicants should please note that application submitted will not be processed until the cost of application form of GH¢150.00 is settled with banker’s draft from any bank.
Completed application forms with certified copies of Certificates / result slips should be submitted to the admissions offices before the closing date.
Online Application Procedure
* Select “For First Time Applicants” or “Create account” if a New User. Select “For Returning Applicants” or “Login” if a continuing user/applicant.
* First time applicants are required to fill the various fields in order to have their account creation successful.
* An SMS will be sent to phone number provided to confirm account creation.
* Various programs offered in the institution will be displayed where user makes selection. Per selection made, the various programs within the selected program are displayed from which a choice is to be made by applicant.
* Provide subsequent information to complete application;
Career opportunities for this programme include:
– Energy Consultant
– Sales Advisor
– Project Manager
Array ( [ID] => 1631 [key] => field_5a5d9edc676a4 [label] => Tuition Fees Duration [name] => tuition_fees_duration [prefix] => acf [type] => select [value] => /year [menu_order] => 49 [instructions] => [required] => 0 [id] => [class] => [conditional_logic] => 0 [parent] => 169 [wrapper] => Array ( [width] => 50 [class] => [id] => ) [choices] => Array ( [/year] => /year [/month] => /month [/trimester] => /trimester [/semester] => /semester [for the full programme] => for the full programme ) [default_value] => Array ( ) [allow_null] => 0 [multiple] => 0 [ui] => 0 [ajax] => 0 [return_format] => value [placeholder] => [_name] => tuition_fees_duration [_valid] => 1 )Tuition Fees for Ghanaian Students: $838
Tuition Fees per year for Ghanaian Students = GH¢4,824
Tuition Fees per year for International Students = GH¢27,198
– Fresh students are required to pay full semester fees before or during registration
– Continuing students are required to pay at least 60% of their fees on or before the day of registration. Failure to pay the required 60% percent by the end of second week after the beginning of the semester in question will attract a penalty of GH¢200.00.