|Tuition Fees:||$808 /year|
|Applications Begin:||January 2021|
|Final Award:||Bachelor of Arts in Sociology|
|Start Date:||September 2021|
|Academic Unit:||Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences|
|Application Deadline:||August 2021|
Sociology is the scientific study of societies, social interaction, the structures and relationships that are formed by social groups and individuals and the consequences these have for the stability and change in societies. The goal of the sociology programme is to train and develop a new generation of sociologists with relevant skills that will enable them adapt to the changing social and developmental needs of the Ghanaian society and the continent at large. The BA Sociology programme is a four-year programme that ultimately challenges the student to go beyond daily appearances and to appreciate the critical issues that shape modern society and social development. The programme takes at least four (4) years to complete.
The BA Sociology programme has been designed to:
– Provide students with training to understand the nature of social interaction and the social behaviour of individuals in societies.
– Offer students a better appreciation of the complex interplay of the forces that inform, guide and direct human social behaviour and thought processes.
– Provide students with a more in-depth understanding of the complex nature and dynamics of modern society.
– Enable students to gain experience working with and understanding people with diverse social and cultural backgrounds.
Social interaction occurs within diverse cultural, economic and political contexts. These interactions are influenced by time and place and have consequences for the life chances of individuals living within any society at every point in time. Sociological knowledge can be applied to understanding these social interactions since they occur at the level of individual interaction, institutional arrangements within society and the broader structural level of social organisation. Individuals also get to understand their own life situations and social positions because they will become familiar with the nuances that shape social life within social relationships. This also allows individuals to gain more control over their lives as they acquire a broader spectrum of perspectives with which they may evaluate and understand themselves, society and social interaction.Societies and cultures change from time to time under the influence of factors originating both from within and outside. This is also because contact between different societies and cultures is occurring rapidly especially in the present world with globalisation compressing time and space. Sociology provides the means for understanding these changes in light of the cultural similarities and differences and the factors responsible for these. Ultimately, people will be able to see beyond commonly held beliefs and understand the underlying forces that shape the conduct of individuals in any given society. They will also appreciate how various societies work for their own stability as well as change. By this means, misconceptions and ignorance about social relationships and social organisation will be eliminated.
Presentations, Individual & Group Assignments, End-of-Semester Examinations, Long Essay/Project Work
a. West African Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination (WASSCE)
– Credit passes (A1-C6) in six (6) subjects comprising three core subjects, including English Language and Mathematics plus three (3) relevant subjects.
b. Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination (SSSCE)
– Credit passes (A-D) in six (6) subjects comprising three core subjects, including English Language and Mathematics, plus three (3) relevant subjects.
c. General Certificate of Education (GCE) Advanced Levels
Passes in three (3) subjects (at least, one of the passes should be Grade D or better). Also, the applicant must have had credit passes (Grade 6) in five GCE Ordinary Level subjects including English Language, Mathematics and a Science subject (for non-science students) and Arts subject (for Science students).
d. Mature Applicant
– Mature students must be at least 25 years of age. Applicants who do not have the required passes would take special mature students’ Entrance examination which consists of a general paper and two papers in the area(s) of specialization desired.
e. Foreign Applicants
– Foreign applicants must have qualifications equivalent to the above. Their results must also be translated into English and they should be able to read and write in English. Prospective foreign applicants must also note that their certificates will be sent to the National Accreditation Board (NAB) for evaluation and verification.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applicants may apply online by clicking http://online.central.edu.gh to buy an E-voucher for GH100.00 (for Ghanaian applicants) or the cedi equivalent of US 100.00 (for foreign applicants) at Ecobank branches. Use the PIN and SERIAL NUMBER on the E-voucher to apply online at apply.central.edu.gh. VISA branded cards and MTN Mobile Money can also be used to purchase E-vouchers online.
Applicants will be required to:
– Upload their 2 passport size photographs, certificates/ Results slips
– Present original copies of their supporting documents to the Admissions office before semester registration will be allowed.The applicants are advised to check thoroughly all details entered before finally submitting their online applications.
** A form once submitted can only be viewed but cannot be edited.
1. Paper Application forms can be obtained for GHC100.00 (Undergraduate) and GHC120 (Graduate) for Ghanaian applicants) and the cedi equivalent of USD 100.00 (Undergraduate and Graduate) (for foreign applicants) through the following:
2. By Banker’s Draft (in favour of Central University) from the Finance Office at the Mataheko and Kumasi campuses of the university, or from the permanent campus at Miotso, off the Accra-Aflao Road.
3. Ecobank, Zenith Bank and GCB Bank branches nationwide and from the 170 Ghana post office branches across the country.
4. Undergraduate application forms may also be downloaded HERE and completed. Applicants would have to pay GHC 100 for Ghanaian (undergraduate) and GHC120 (Graduate) (for Ghanaian applicants) or cedi equivalent of USD100 for foreign applicants, paid at the time of submission. Graduate application form can be downloaded HERE
**An applicant must submit the following at the time of application directly to the University:
– A completed Application Form
– An official Results Slip/Certificate
– Transcripts from previous Universities (where applicable). Such transcripts should be sent directly to the Admissions Officer. It is the responsibility of the applicant to arrange for transcript(s) and /or transfer form to be mailed and to ensure that they arrive promptly. Hand delivered transcript(s) are not acceptable.
**The completed paper application documents along with photographs, transcripts and certificates/results slips must be submitted to:
The Admissions Officer
(Off the Accra-Aflao Road)
P.O.Box 2305, Community
For further clarifications kindly call the Admissions Hotline: +233 303 318583 or email:firstname.lastname@example.org
Graduates of the BA Sociology programme can be employed in the following areas:
Array ( [ID] => 1631 [key] => field_5a5d9edc676a4 [label] => Tuition Fees Duration [name] => tuition_fees_duration [prefix] => acf [type] => select [value] => /year [menu_order] => 49 [instructions] => [required] => 0 [id] => [class] => [conditional_logic] => 0 [parent] => 169 [wrapper] => Array ( [width] => 50 [class] => [id] => ) [choices] => Array ( [/year] => /year [/month] => /month [/trimester] => /trimester [/semester] => /semester [for the full programme] => for the full programme ) [default_value] => Array ( ) [allow_null] => 0 [multiple] => 0 [ui] => 0 [ajax] => 0 [return_format] => value [placeholder] => [_name] => tuition_fees_duration [_valid] => 1 )Tuition Fees for Ghanaian Students: $808
Tuition Fees per year for Ghanaian Students = 4,674 GHS
Tuition Fess per year for International Students = 25,940 GHS
– Fee payments may be made at any Ecobank branch with cash or a Bankers Draft.
– Miscellaneous payments of less than GHC 35 may be made in cash at the Finance Office.
– All Freshmen students must pay all fees for a semester before the first day of class.
– Continuing students must pay ½ of total fees for the semester before the first day of class. The remaining fees must be paid within 4 weeks of the start of the semester. Payments not made by this deadline will incur a penalty. Please contact the Finance Office for more information on penalties.
IMPORTANT: Under no circumstances will students be allowed to take final exams until their fees for the semester have been paid in full.
PAYMENT FOR FEES BY INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS APPLICANTS
– International Students paying fees from their home country can pay via wire transfer into our Ecobank account with the details below.
– Nigerians in particular are advised to use Ecobank Nigeria since the transfer takes 1 day, as compared to other banks which take between 2 to 5 working days
– Fees received into this account will then be credited to the student’s account in the transflow,
– Student information required as part of the transfer information are;
**Fresh Students – Student’s Name and Applicant ID [Semester 1 only]
**Continuing Students – Student Name and Registration Number [ID Number]