By submitting this form, you give us consent to send your details to the school of your interest. This will allow the school to contact you and provide you with further information.
AfriUni.com will never sell or disclose your personal information to a third party without your consent. We will only provide your information to schools which you have requested information from via our site.
By disclosing your personal information by using this website, AfriUni.com will also send you an informative monthly email newsletter and may send other information regarding schools and courses we think will be of interest to you. You may opt out of receiving these emails at any time.
|Tuition Fees:||$921 /year|
|Applications Begin:||August 2021|
|Final Award:||Bachelor of Psychology|
|Start Date:||September 2021|
|Academic Unit:||Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences|
|Application Deadline:||September 2021|
There is an increasing demand for personnel to provide psychological care and support services in the country today. Schools, colleges, industries, hospices, correction facilities, military institutions and health institutions are in need of these services.
The programme is expected to address emerging issues such as indiscipline in schools, drug abuse and other related addictions, coping with terminal illnesses, family conflicts, social conflicts, natural disasters and calamities, environmental management and personal problems.
The personnel to be trained under this programme are expected to work in Educational Institutions, Counselling Clinics, Environmental Management Agencies, Stress Management Centres, and Employee Assistance Programme Centres, Outplacement Centres, Prisons and Correction Centres as well as in Mental Health Institutions.
The philosophy of the programme is to produce qualified personnel who will deliver services in psychological health and human development. And to produce holistic graduates who are able to improve global psychological and mental health care in human beings.
Kenya as a developing society is undergoing drastic social, psychological, economic, political, and educational changes. The challenges arising from these changes require psychological support systems in all sectors of the country.
The Bachelor of Psychology (B.PSY.) programme is expected to provide personnel who can effectively manage such challenges and other emerging social challenges and together bring about a mentally healthy, productive, and cohesive nation through a proactive approach.
This programme aims at producing graduates who have adequate competencies (theory and practice) for:
– Provision of psychological care.
– Provision of training on various theories and applications of psychology.
– Provision of services in psychological assessment and interventions.
– Identifying and managing emerging issues in mental health.
– Organizing, administering and psychological support systems.
– Analysing and applying the psychological theories.
– Provision of therapeutic interventions.
– Applying the knowledge, skills, and competencies in psychological situations.
The programme may be undertaken in full-time or part-time mode. Fulltime students will be required to register for eight semesters (four academic years), taking a maximum of 21 credit factors (unless in the case of approved credit transfer) per semester whereas Part-time students will be required to take a maximum of 8 credit factors per semester.
A total of 173 credit factors will be required to be taken by a student to graduate.
– Applicants must satisfy entry requirements for University admission. In addition, applicants must have passed K.C.S.E with a mean grade of C+ and minimum subject grades as indicated below:-English or Kiswahili C+; Mathematics C+.
– Applicants with a minimum of Credit at diploma level in Psychology, Guidance and Psychological Counselling, Education, Medical Health Professions, or Social Work, from recognized institutions.
– Applicants with a Pass at diploma level in Psychology, Guidance and Counselling, Psychological Counselling, Education, Medical Health Professions, or Social Work, from a recognized institution with at least two years of working experience in a relevant field.
Applications should be on official forms available at the University Main Campus at Chuka, Igembe Campus at Ntuene or Keigoi High School, Embu Campus in Embu Town, Chogoria Campus at Nturiri High School, Tharaka Campus at Gatunga High School, OR Website: www.chuka.ac.ke; A Non-refundable fee of KES 3000 for PhD programmes, KES 2,000 for degree and diploma programmes and KES 1000 for certificate courses will equally be deposited.
The following documents should be made available:
– Originals & a copy of all Transcripts, Diplomas or Certificates (All originals, where necessary, will be returned)
– One recent passport size photograph (write your name on reverse side)
– Copy of the National Identity Card or Birth Certificate
– Preferred Campus should be indicated on the application form
– Certified copies of certificates and original fee payment receipt MUST be attached to the application form and returned latest two weeks prior to the commencement dates given for the programmes
Expected Learning Outcomes
At the end of the course, the learner should be able to:
– Provide services in psychological assessment and intervention.
– Identify and manage emerging issues in mental health.
– Organize, administer and manage counselling and psychological support systems.
– Comprehend the theories and skills of psychological counselling.
– Employ the theories of counselling in psychological intervention.
Array ( [ID] => 1631 [key] => field_5a5d9edc676a4 [label] => Tuition Fees Duration [name] => tuition_fees_duration [prefix] => acf [type] => select [value] => /year [menu_order] => 49 [instructions] => [required] => 0 [id] => [class] => [conditional_logic] => 0 [parent] => 169 [wrapper] => Array ( [width] => 50 [class] => [id] => ) [choices] => Array ( [/year] => /year [/month] => /month [/trimester] => /trimester [/semester] => /semester [for the full programme] => for the full programme ) [default_value] => Array ( ) [allow_null] => 0 [multiple] => 0 [ui] => 0 [ajax] => 0 [return_format] => value [placeholder] => [_name] => tuition_fees_duration [_valid] => 1 )Tuition Fees for Kenyan Students: $921
Tuition fee per year for Kenyan Students = KES. 100,000
Tuition fee per year for International Students = KES 125,000
– The Institute reserves the right to change fees without prior notice. However, fee changes are subject to approval by the Governing Council.
– The University policy obliges students to pay the full amount of fees as required on the first day of reporting before they are registered.