By submitting this form, you give us consent to send your details to the school of your interest. This will allow the school to contact you and provide you with further information.
AfriUni.com will never sell or disclose your personal information to a third party without your consent. We will only provide your information to schools which you have requested information from via our site.
By disclosing your personal information by using this website, AfriUni.com will also send you an informative monthly email newsletter and may send other information regarding schools and courses we think will be of interest to you. You may opt out of receiving these emails at any time.
|Tuition Fees:||$921 /year|
|Applications Begin:||August 2021|
|Final Award:||Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy|
|Start Date:||September 2021|
|Academic Unit:||Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences|
|Application Deadline:||September 2021|
The Department of Philosophy seeks to provide a foundation for a healthy and sound intellectual, moral, and religious formation.
It also aims to enhance and strengthen the students’ cognitive faculty towards the recognition of the inexhaustible aspects of rational and scientific knowledge in view of realizing their full potential as human beings. This is expected to be achieved through quality teaching, research and general dissemination of knowledge.
Training in Philosophy produces graduates for enhancing sustainable national and global development through application of valid justification and principles for whatever view that is held in search of truth.
Our society today needs sharp and clear-minded, self-reliant, independent and creative thinkers as well as confident public servants and citizens. This cannot be achieved unless the said people are well trained in the good use of the rational faculties of man. The need, therefore, for a Philosophy Programme cannot be overemphasized.
The Philosophy Programme, thus, is to contribute to national development by introducing and teaching courses that can facilitate a sharpened sense of critical and analytical thinking.
While trying to achieve this, the Department also endeavours to assist the students to understand themselves as members of the national community and acknowledge their commitment to the wider society. The programme will develop the students’ awareness of thought movements and trends in both Western and non-Western world views.
Through the teaching of the philosophical courses, the students shall be able to critically assess such views and any other views while also helping them to consistently develop a sense of always having a valid justification for whatever views they may hold as they search for truth.
The goal of the Philosophy programme is to provide learners with a variety of knowledge and skills for the purpose of making them better critical and creative thinkers and thus future leaders and patriotic citizens.
The programme courses are spread over a period of four (4) academic years or eight (8) academic semesters. To graduate, a student will be expected to cover 96 credit factors in Philosophy and at least 24 CFs from other disciplines. The programme will be offered on a full-time basis.
– Candidates to the degree of Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy must fulfil the minimum general University entry requirements for a Bachelors Programme.
– In addition, the applicants must have scored a C+ and above in any of the Languages in Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education Examination or its equivalent from recognized institutions.
– Applicants with a Diploma in Philosophy are eligible for admission provided that they passed with a “Credit” or its equivalent from a recognized institution.
Applications should be on official forms available at the University Main Campus at Chuka, Igembe Campus at Ntuene or Keigoi High School, Embu Campus in Embu Town, Chogoria Campus at Nturiri High School, Tharaka Campus at Gatunga High School, OR Website: www.chuka.ac.ke; A Non-refundable fee of KES 3000 for Phd programmes, KES 2,000 for degree and diploma programmes and KES 1000 for certificate courses will equally be deposited.
The following documents should be made available:
– Originals & a copy of all Transcripts, Diplomas or Certificates (All originals, where necessary, will be returned)
– One recent passport size photograph (write your name on reverse side)
– Copy of the National Identity Card or Birth Certificate
– Preferred Campus should be indicated on the application form
– Certified copies of certificates and original fee payment receipt MUST be attached to the application form and returned latest two weeks prior to the commencement dates given for the programmes
Expected Learning Outcomes
At the end of the programme, the graduates should be able to:
– Have a holistic understanding of themselves and the world around them in view of making society a better place to live in;
– Seek knowledge in the fulfilment of the human desire to know and use the same knowledge for the betterment of society;
– Make good critical and creative decisions for the enhancement of society;
– Search for and defend the truth at all times;
– Champion the rights of the people/citizens in the interests of justice;
– Devoted to duty and responsible citizens who strive to do good for its own sake as opposed to doing good for some other motive.
Array ( [ID] => 1631 [key] => field_5a5d9edc676a4 [label] => Tuition Fees Duration [name] => tuition_fees_duration [prefix] => acf [type] => select [value] => /year [menu_order] => 49 [instructions] => [required] => 0 [id] => [class] => [conditional_logic] => 0 [parent] => 169 [wrapper] => Array ( [width] => 50 [class] => [id] => ) [choices] => Array ( [/year] => /year [/month] => /month [/trimester] => /trimester [/semester] => /semester [for the full programme] => for the full programme ) [default_value] => Array ( ) [allow_null] => 0 [multiple] => 0 [ui] => 0 [ajax] => 0 [return_format] => value [placeholder] => [_name] => tuition_fees_duration [_valid] => 1 )Tuition Fees for Kenyan Students: $921
Tuition fee per year for Kenyan Students = KES. 100,000
Tuition fee per year for International Students = KES 125,000
– The Institute reserves the right to change fees without prior notice. However, fee changes are subject to approval by the Governing Council.
– The University policy obliges students to pay the full amount of fees as required on the first day of reporting before they are registered.