By submitting this form, you give us consent to send your details to the school of your interest. This will allow the school to contact you and provide you with further information.
AfriUni.com will never sell or disclose your personal information to a third party without your consent. We will only provide your information to schools which you have requested information from via our site.
By disclosing your personal information by using this website, AfriUni.com will also send you an informative monthly email newsletter and may send other information regarding schools and courses we think will be of interest to you. You may opt out of receiving these emails at any time.
|Tuition Fees:||$3,032 /year|
|Applications Begin:||March 2021|
|Final Award:||Bachelor of Science in Marine Biology|
|Start Date:||February 2022|
|Academic Unit:||College of Agriculture, Engineering & Science|
|Application Deadline:||30 September 2021|
UKZN’s position within the African continent has led to the development of a unique Marine Biology programme able to service requirements from the southern African eastern seaboard and neighbouring Indian Ocean Rim countries.
The University’s linkage with the Oceanographic Research Institute (ORI-SAAMBR), the CSIR and EKZN Wildlife (all of them in Durban), plus close working relations with other institutes involved in marine research and management outside the province, have led to a suite of academic programmes developed to attract both national and international students/scientists and place the UKZN as a center of expertise in tropical and sub-tropical marine biology.
On the research side, the largest component of the marine research initiative has historically comprised the Estuarine Research Programme. Estuaries are arguably the most threatened of all South African marine ecosystems, as they cover a small surface area but are subject to extreme levels of utilization.
– NSC degree pass with Maths, English, Life Orientation and Agricultural Science/Physical Science/Life Science at level 4.
– Admission points required: 28-48 (highest scoring students took first; BSc in Industrial and Applied Biotechnology requires a minimum point score of 30).
– The closing date for applications is 30 September.
1. Applications to study must be made in the prescribed manner via the Central Applications Office (www.cao.ac.za), and must include presentation of the Matriculation Certificate where specified.
2. An applicant who has studied at any other tertiary education institution must, in addition, present an
academic record and a certificate of conduct from that institution.
3. For new admissions:
– APS (Accumulated points score)
– Selections are processed on a sliding scale, on academic merit, with the minimum as per subject requirements.
Career opportunities for this programme include:
– Marine scientist
– Hydrographic surveyor
Array ( [ID] => 1631 [key] => field_5a5d9edc676a4 [label] => Tuition Fees Duration [name] => tuition_fees_duration [prefix] => acf [type] => select [value] => /year [menu_order] => 49 [instructions] => [required] => 0 [id] => [class] => [conditional_logic] => 0 [parent] => 169 [wrapper] => Array ( [width] => 50 [class] => [id] => ) [choices] => Array ( [/year] => /year [/month] => /month [/trimester] => /trimester [/semester] => /semester [for the full programme] => for the full programme ) [default_value] => Array ( ) [allow_null] => 0 [multiple] => 0 [ui] => 0 [ajax] => 0 [return_format] => value [placeholder] => [_name] => tuition_fees_duration [_valid] => 1 )Tuition Fees for South African & SADC Students: $3,032
South African students pay R50275 per year as tuition fees.
Students from SADC countries pay local tuition fees plus a levy of R3400 (R1800 per semester)
– All students from SADC and other African countries pay: R470
– All students from outside of Africa: U$146
– Students from within Africa but outside SADC and from the rest of the world are required to pay US $ 14 535.00 per annum; i.e. U$ 6 895.00 per semester (first or second) inclusive of the international levy, where registration is required for one semester only to complete a qualification.