By submitting this form, you give us consent to send your details to the school of your interest. This will allow the school to contact you and provide you with further information.
AfriUni.com will never sell or disclose your personal information to a third party without your consent. We will only provide your information to schools which you have requested information from via our site.
By disclosing your personal information by using this website, AfriUni.com will also send you an informative monthly email newsletter and may send other information regarding schools and courses we think will be of interest to you. You may opt out of receiving these emails at any time.
|Tuition Fees:||$1,351 /year|
|Applications Begin:||May 2021|
|Final Award:||Master of Arts in Linguistics|
|Start Date:||August 2021|
|Academic Unit:||College of Humanities and Social Sciences|
|Application Deadline:||July 2021|
It typically covers the study of language structure (grammar), the study of meaning (semantics) and the social functions of language (sociolinguistics). In recent years it has become a popular subject for study.
With a Masters in Linguistics at Makerere University you will typically in your first year have studied such modules as Exploring the English Language with an Introduction to Language and Linguistics.
Further study will have engaged you with, for example, Child Language Acquisition, Phonetics, Semantics, Sociolinguistics, Language, Gender and Sexuality, Pragmatics and Psycholinguistics
Applicants should posses a second class honours degree or its equivalent in the language of study from a recognized institution.
Bachelor’s degree of at least second class, lower division or equivalent from a recognised University. Applicants with lower qualifications must satisfy the relevant department and the Postgraduate Admissions Board that they have acquired academic growth, for instance, by evidence of research and publications or a relevant Postgraduate Diploma of Second class division. In some departments, a qualifying course followed by examination is given.
HOW TO APPLY
1. Application forms and other relevant information may be obtained from undergraduate admissions Office, Level 3, Senate Building, Makerere University. Admissions are processed in May/June every year.
2. Non-refundable application fee of UG Shs.50,000 plus Bank charge of UG Shs.2,500/= should be paid from the following banks using Makerere University Paying-in-slips:
i. Any STANBIC BANK BRANCH MUC – FEES COLLECTION ACCOUNT 9030005816385
ii. DFCU BANK MAKERERE BRANCH MUC – FEES COLLECTION ACCOUNT 01013500181512
iii. CENTENARY BANK MUC – FEES COLLECTION ACCOUNT 4912300001
iv. CRANE BANK MUC – FEES COLLECTION ACCOUNT 0145053500100
3. After paying, each applicant must attach a copy of the paying – in slip to the application form and submit the completed application form to the Undergraduate Admissions Office in the Senate Building, Makerere University.
Candidates who hold grades X, Y, Z, 7 and 9 of ‘O’level results should not apply because they are Not eligible for admission.
Diploma holder applicants who hold class three (3) Diploma Certificates are not eligible for admission and therefore should not apply, except where stated in the diploma holders requirements.
Makerere University welcomes International Students who should follow the Application Procedure below;
1. Get pay in slips from Stanbic or DFCU bank at the main campus Makerere University where applicable.
2. After paying the Fee of USD $ 75 or 172,500 UGX take the bank slip to the main building (Finance Department) for verification where applicable.
3. On presentation of the application fee bank slip, pick the application form from Room 316, Level 3, Senate Building.
4. Applicants with academic documents prescribed in other languages other than English should be submitted to the School of Languages, Makerere University for translation into English.
5. Applicants who obtained qualifications elsewhere other than Uganda should take their secondary school academic documents to Uganda National Examinations Board (UNEB) located in Ntinda for purposes of being equated to Ugandan grades.
6. Completed forms should be returned to level 3, Senate Building, Room 316, and the following documents MUST be attached to the application form:
– Original Pay in slip from the Bank
– One Passport size photograph of the applicants’ current likeness
– Photocopies of Secondary School Certificates (i e Ordinary Level and Advanced Level) or its equivalent.
7. Diploma/Degree holder’s applicants MUST attach certified photocopies of their academic transcripts issued by the awarding institutions.
8. Applicants from countries where the language of instruction is not English are required to bring evidence of proficiency of English. However, Makerere University (School of Languages) conducts proficiency tests on request.
9. International students MUST present insurance certificates from a reputable insurance firm at the time of admission. So, the insurance firm should cater for any eventuality not Makerere University.
10. The Academic Year normally starts in August every year. Applicants can download the form and send it with academic documents attached to; The Academic Registrar (Admissions), Makerere University, P O BOX 7062, Kampala-Uganda.
Career paths that can be followed with a Master of Arts in Linguistics include;
– speech and language therapist
– languages teacher
– copy editor
– proofreader or a role in communications
Array ( [ID] => 1631 [key] => field_5a5d9edc676a4 [label] => Tuition Fees Duration [name] => tuition_fees_duration [prefix] => acf [type] => select [value] => /year [menu_order] => 49 [instructions] => [required] => 0 [id] => [class] => [conditional_logic] => 0 [parent] => 169 [wrapper] => Array ( [width] => 50 [class] => [id] => ) [choices] => Array ( [/year] => /year [/month] => /month [/trimester] => /trimester [/semester] => /semester [for the full programme] => for the full programme ) [default_value] => Array ( ) [allow_null] => 0 [multiple] => 0 [ui] => 0 [ajax] => 0 [return_format] => value [placeholder] => [_name] => tuition_fees_duration [_valid] => 1 )Tuition Fees for Ugandan and EAC Students: $1,351
Tuition Fee Per Year for Ugandan Students = 5,000,000UGX
Tuition Fee per Year for International Students = 7,000,000 UGX
NOTE: Students from countries within the East African Community (EAC), as well as Refugee students, pay the same tuition fee as Ugandans.
**Member countries of the EAC sub Region include; Uganda, Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan and Tanzania.