By submitting this form, you give us consent to send your details to the school of your interest. This will allow the school to contact you and provide you with further information.
AfriUni.com will never sell or disclose your personal information to a third party without your consent. We will only provide your information to schools which you have requested information from via our site.
By disclosing your personal information by using this website, AfriUni.com will also send you an informative monthly email newsletter and may send other information regarding schools and courses we think will be of interest to you. You may opt out of receiving these emails at any time.
|Tuition Fees:||$921 /year|
|Applications Begin:||August 2021|
|Final Award:||Bachelor of Arts in Kiswahili and Geography|
|Start Date:||September 2021|
|Academic Unit:||Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences|
|Application Deadline:||September 2021|
Kiswahili, Kenya’s national language, has in the recent past expanded greatly geographically and in terms of speakers. Its expanded use involves effective interaction at interpersonal, national and regional levels.
The rebirth of East African Community, African Union and COMESA have underscored the crucial role of Kiswahili in bringing understanding among the peoples of this region.
Different institutions within the country and the entire region have recognized the need for better communication in Kiswahili, hence the increased demand for experts of the Language.
Geography on the other hand is a dynamic and exciting subject of great relevance for meeting the challenges of the 21st century. The study of Geography draws on students’ curiosity about the diversity of the world’s places and their peoples, cultures and environments.
It enables students to appreciate the complexity of our world and the diversity of its environments, economies and cultures. Students can use this knowledge to promote a more sustainable way of life and awareness of social and spatial inequalities.
Relevant knowledge and skills in Kiswahili promote national development through effective communication.
There is a need for Kiswahili professionals to make their living as communications consultants. Also rapidly expanding are career opportunities for writers and editors in technical fields, computer software and in translation services.
The graduates of this programme will work in the following areas requiring language expertise such as print media (i.e. editors and broadcast writers) media (presenters, editors, translators, book reviewers, thespians, interpreters, producers and screenwriters), teachers, lecturers and researchers.
This course aims at providing a background to the study of language and linguistic theory, Kiswahili language skills and literature. More specifically, the course will aim at producing graduates with the following:
– A high level of proficiency in the use of Kiswahili A theoretical background on various aspects of Kiswahili language and literature, deemed necessary for B.A. (Arts) and B.Ed. (Arts) students to perform their respective duties and responsibilities well upon graduation.
– Ability to research in Kiswahili for its promotion and development as a national language.
– Adequate exposure to the study of Kiswahili literature;
– Ability to evaluate the major trends of development in this area up to the present time.
– A thorough grasp of linguistic theory and its application in the study of Kiswahili and other languages.
– Ability to initiate better communication in society.
All students shall take ALL the units offered in the First and Second years of study. Students will pursue the 18.104.22.168 structure, meaning they shall take courses in Kiswahili, Geography, Sociology and University Common Courses in Year One and TWO. In Year Three and Four, students will specialize in Kiswahili and Geography subject combinations.
Any candidate who meets the University minimum requirements may be admitted into the Kiswahili program, provided that, such a candidate has a pass with a B-or above in K.C.S.E. in Kiswahili.
Applications should be on official forms available at the University Main Campus at Chuka, Igembe Campus at Ntuene or Keigoi High School, Embu Campus in Embu Town, Chogoria Campus at Nturiri High School, Tharaka Campus at Gatunga High School, OR Website: www.chuka.ac.ke; A Non-refundable fee of KES 3000 for Phd programmes, KES 2,000 for degree and diploma programmes and KES 1000 for certificate courses will equally be deposited.
The following documents should be made available:
– Originals & a copy of all Transcripts, Diplomas or Certificates (All originals, where necessary, will be returned)
– One recent passport size photograph (write your name on reverse side)
– Copy of the National Identity Card or Birth Certificate
– Preferred Campus should be indicated on the application form
– Certified copies of certificates and original fee payment receipt MUST be attached to the application form and returned latest two weeks prior to the commencement dates given for the programmes
Expected Learning Outcomes
At the end of the programme, the learner should be able to:
– Apply language skills that are useful in areas of linguistics and literature in Kiswahili.
– Demonstrate a very high proficiency in the use of Kiswahili.
– Analyze Kiswahili literary texts using various literary theories.
– Apply knowledge in linguistics and literature in Kiswahili to solve societal problems.
– Pursue a career in Kiswahili studies in research or academic institution.
Array ( [ID] => 1631 [key] => field_5a5d9edc676a4 [label] => Tuition Fees Duration [name] => tuition_fees_duration [prefix] => acf [type] => select [value] => /year [menu_order] => 49 [instructions] => [required] => 0 [id] => [class] => [conditional_logic] => 0 [parent] => 169 [wrapper] => Array ( [width] => 50 [class] => [id] => ) [choices] => Array ( [/year] => /year [/month] => /month [/trimester] => /trimester [/semester] => /semester [for the full programme] => for the full programme ) [default_value] => Array ( ) [allow_null] => 0 [multiple] => 0 [ui] => 0 [ajax] => 0 [return_format] => value [placeholder] => [_name] => tuition_fees_duration [_valid] => 1 )Tuition Fees for Kenyan Students: $921
Tuition fee per year for Kenyan Students = KES. 100,000
Tuition fee per year for International Students = KES 125,000
– The Institute reserves the right to change fees without prior notice. However, fee changes are subject to approval by the Governing Council.
– The University policy obliges students to pay the full amount of fees as required on the first day of reporting before they are registered.