By submitting this form, you give us consent to send your details to the school of your interest. This will allow the school to contact you and provide you with further information.
AfriUni.com will never sell or disclose your personal information to a third party without your consent. We will only provide your information to schools which you have requested information from via our site.
By disclosing your personal information by using this website, AfriUni.com will also send you an informative monthly email newsletter and may send other information regarding schools and courses we think will be of interest to you. You may opt out of receiving these emails at any time.
|Tuition Fees:||$645 /year|
|Applications Begin:||August 2021|
|Final Award:||Diploma in Journalism and Mass Communication|
|Start Date:||September 2021|
|Academic Unit:||Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences|
|Application Deadline:||September 2021|
The Diploma in Journalism and Mass Communication programme is designed to prepare students who intend to become media and communication professionals. The programme also offers a wide range of knowledge and skills that are useful to students who wish to further their studies in communication and media at the degree level.
Philosophy: Training in Journalism and Mass Communication for informing and updating the public.
Media are important and powerful tools in shaping worldviews and attitudes through dissemination of information. Therefore media professionals must be trusted to give a clear and unbiased picture of the world in the stories and information they package.
The media and communication industries have expanded rapidly in Kenya and the rest of the world. This has created a need for well-trained professionals in these fields.
The graduates of this programme will work in the following capacities: print media specialists, television and radio producers, public relations officers, communication officers, researchers, photojournalists, behaviour change communicators, business managers, trainers and consultants.
Goal: To identify, shape, refine and develop technologists’ skills in communication and media.
The Diploma in Journalism and Mass Communication will be covered in two (2) academic years. Students will undertake a field attachment of a minimum of eight (8) weeks after the end of first year. To graduate, the student must successfully complete a minimum of 90 credit factors. Credit factors shall consist of both journalism and mass communication courses, and selected courses from other disciplines
– Candidates must have obtained a minimum mean grade of C (plain) at Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education, or its equivalent.
– In addition, candidates must have obtained a minimum score of C (plain) in English or Kiswahili languages.
– Candidates who have obtained a minimum mean grade of C (plain), and a minimum score of C-(minus) in English or Kiswahili in KCSE, or its equivalent, may be admitted provided they have bridged in either English or Kiswahili.
– Admission may be granted to holders of a Certificate in Journalism and Mass Communication or related disciplines from institutions recognized by Chuka University.
Applications should be on official forms available at the University Main Campus at Chuka, Igembe Campus at Ntuene or Keigoi High School, Embu Campus in Embu Town, Chogoria Campus at Nturiri High School, Tharaka Campus at Gatunga High School, OR Website: www.chuka.ac.ke; A Non-refundable fee of KES 3000 for Phd programmes, KES 2,000 for degree and diploma programmes and KES 1000 for certificate courses will equally be deposited.
The following documents should be made available:
– Originals & a copy of all Transcripts, Diplomas or Certificates (All originals, where necessary, will be returned)
– One recent passport size photograph (write your name on reverse side)
– Copy of the National Identity Card or Birth Certificate
– Preferred Campus should be indicated on the application form
– Certified copies of certificates and original fee payment receipt MUST be attached to the application form and returned latest two weeks prior to the commencement dates given for the programmes
Expected Learning Outcomes
By the end of the programme, the graduates will:
– Effectively write and report, communicate strategies and knowledge about the role of media in society.
– Produce programmes for electronic media and writing stories and articles for print media.
– Appreciate and apply theoretical and conceptual approaches to media and communication studies.
– Carry out independent research in communication and media studies, and prepare for further studies in the same areas.
Array ( [ID] => 1631 [key] => field_5a5d9edc676a4 [label] => Tuition Fees Duration [name] => tuition_fees_duration [prefix] => acf [type] => select [value] => /year [menu_order] => 49 [instructions] => [required] => 0 [id] => [class] => [conditional_logic] => 0 [parent] => 169 [wrapper] => Array ( [width] => 50 [class] => [id] => ) [choices] => Array ( [/year] => /year [/month] => /month [/trimester] => /trimester [/semester] => /semester [for the full programme] => for the full programme ) [default_value] => Array ( ) [allow_null] => 0 [multiple] => 0 [ui] => 0 [ajax] => 0 [return_format] => value [placeholder] => [_name] => tuition_fees_duration [_valid] => 1 )Tuition Fees for Kenyan Students: $645
Tuition fee per year for Kenyan Students = KES. 70,000
Tuition fee per year for International Students = KES 87,500
– The Institute reserves the right to change fees without prior notice. However, fee changes are subject to approval by the Governing Council.
– The University policy obliges students to pay the full amount of fees as required on the first day of reporting before they are registered.