By submitting this form, you give us consent to send your details to the school of your interest. This will allow the school to contact you and provide you with further information.
AfriUni.com will never sell or disclose your personal information to a third party without your consent. We will only provide your information to schools which you have requested information from via our site.
By disclosing your personal information by using this website, AfriUni.com will also send you an informative monthly email newsletter and may send other information regarding schools and courses we think will be of interest to you. You may opt out of receiving these emails at any time.
|Tuition Fees:||$0 /year|
|Applications Begin:||June 2020|
|Final Award:||Master of Science in Geographic Information Systems|
|Start Date:||September 2020|
|Academic Unit:||School of Engineering|
|Application Deadline:||9 October 2020|
The proliferation of numerous applications in Geographic Information Systems (GIS) has generated a great demand for well trained personnel, especially in developing countries like Kenya where the GIS industry is still young but growing fast. In response to this demand, and within the realm of Continuous Professional Development (CPD), the Department of Surveying, University of Nairobi, has been offering short (certificate) courses in GIS for the last three years. Experience gained from this CPD programme indicates that most of the professionals currently working in the local GIS industry lack formal GIS training and the required capacity to effectively manage GIS projects. The above factors provide the impetus for launching the proposed Master of Science in Geographic Information Systems (M.Sc.(GIS)). This programme is designed to accommodate the diverse interests of professionals from different backgrounds currently working or aspiring to work in the GIS industry. This is pertinent especially given the multidisciplinary nature of GIS.
The Objectives of the course are to:
• Equip students with the relevant skills and knowledge to pursue careers in the GIS industry as GIS practitioners and educators.
• Provide students with comprehensive knowledge of the functionality and applications of GIS technology.
• Expose students to the design and implementation of GIS projects.
• Equip students with the relevant skills and knowledge to carry out research in GIS.
– The course shall run over a minimum period of four (4) semesters and a maximum of ten (10) semesters of fifteen (15) weeks each.
– The course shall be by course work, examination and research project.
– The course mark shall consist of eleven (11) core course units, two (2) electives and research project report.
– The first year of study shall be totally devoted to course work, while the second year shall be devoted to course work and the research project.
– In each of the two semesters of the first year, students shall be required to take up to five (5) core course units.
– During the first semester in the second year of study, students shall be required to take (1) core course units and two (2) electives.
– The Department reserves the right to decide the electives to offer in any academic year.
– The second semester of the second year shall be completely devoted to the research project.
**The common regulations for the Masters degrees in the University of Nairobi shall apply.
**The following shall be eligible for admission:
– Holders of a Bachelor’s degree in any geoinformation related discipline with at least lower second class honours of the University of Nairobi, or equivalent qualifications from other institutions recognized by the Senate.
– Holders of a Bachelor’s pass degree with a Postgraduate Diploma in Geographic Information Systems (P.G. Dip.(GIS) or equivalent qualifications from other institutions recognized by the Senate.
– Holders of a Bachelor’s pass degree in any geoinformation related discipline and three years experience in GIS.
How to Apply:
Applicants should visit = https://application.uonbi.ac.ke/ to apply Online
University of Nairobi has three intakes in an Academic year. Main intake being in September/October for all the courses and December/January for Bachelor of Education(Arts), Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Commerce, Bachelor of Hospitality Management, Bachelor of Travel and Tourism April/May for Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Education(Arts), Bachelor of Education Early Childhood, Bachelor of Commerce, Bachelor of Economics ,Bachelor of Economics and Statistics ,Bachelor of Journalism and media Studies, Bachelor of Art Broadcast Production, Bachelor of Hospitality Management, Bachelor of Travel and Tourism, Bachelor of Arts Broadcast Production and all Diploma and Certificate courses.
Career opportunities for this programme include:
– Climate Scientist
– GIS Manager
– Health Geographer
– Helicopter Firefighter
– App Developer
Array ( [ID] => 1631 [key] => field_5a5d9edc676a4 [label] => Tuition Fees Duration [name] => tuition_fees_duration [prefix] => acf [type] => select [value] => /year [menu_order] => 49 [instructions] => [required] => 0 [id] => [class] => [conditional_logic] => 0 [parent] => 169 [wrapper] => Array ( [width] => 50 [class] => [id] => ) [choices] => Array ( [/year] => /year [/month] => /month [/trimester] => /trimester [/semester] => /semester [for the full programme] => for the full programme ) [default_value] => Array ( ) [allow_null] => 0 [multiple] => 0 [ui] => 0 [ajax] => 0 [return_format] => value [placeholder] => [_name] => tuition_fees_duration [_valid] => 1 )Tuition Fees for Kenyan Students: $0
Tuition Fees per year for Kenyan Students =
Tuition Fees per year for International Students =
**This programme will be completed after a duration of 2 years, with fees per year as follows:
– First year =
– Second year =
International Students pay 20% more than the Kenyan Students.