By submitting this form, you give us consent to send your details to the school of your interest. This will allow the school to contact you and provide you with further information.
AfriUni.com will never sell or disclose your personal information to a third party without your consent. We will only provide your information to schools which you have requested information from via our site.
By disclosing your personal information by using this website, AfriUni.com will also send you an informative monthly email newsletter and may send other information regarding schools and courses we think will be of interest to you. You may opt out of receiving these emails at any time.
JKUAT continuously reviews her programmes and continues to develop new ones in order to
respond to technological and market driven developments so as to ensure that graduates can
apply modern technologies in the industry.
In the country, renewable energy uptake is at a low phase, which can partly be attributed to lack of specialists who can champion the exploitation and utilization of these resources. In addition, the recent discovery of oil resources as well as the growth of the energy sector and demand for sustainable energy has led to the development of this new academic programme, Bachelor of Science in Energy and Environmental Technology.
Sustainable exploitation of resources for energy and handling of the accompanying
environmental challenges is critical for the realization of clean development. This programme
incorporates units that address sustainable production, transmission and management of energy
resources as well as sustainable handling of the environmental challenges.
The programme addresses the energy industry’s need for technical graduates who bring a unique mix of
technology and environmental science skills and knowledge to the workplace that will set them apart from graduates of traditional technology programmes.
It is designed to provide interdisciplinary approaches in order to produce graduates who can competitively offer solutions in all fields and areas in the energy and environment sector both locally and globally.
– Communication Skills
– Introduction to Computer Science
– Introduction to Energy and Environmental Technology
– Technical Drawing
– Analytical Chemistry
– General Economics
– Development Studies and Social Ethics
– Engineering Geology
– Environmental Chemistry
– Engineering Surveying
– Computer Programming-I
– Energy Fundamentals
– Fluid Mechanics 1
– Electrical Engineering-I
– Energy and Environmental Economics
– Engineering Thermodynamics I
– Energy, Environment and Climate Change
– Remote Sensing
– Workshop Processes and Practice
– Electrical Engineering-II
– Occupational Safety and Health
– Fluid Mechanics II
– Material Science
– Mechanics of Machines
– General Ecology
– Wind Energy Technology
– Engineering Thermodynamics II
– Internal Practical Attachment
– Design of Machine Elements
– Geothermal energy Technology
– Pollution and Waste Management
– Internal Combustion Engines
– Solar Energy Technology
– Ocean, Wave and Tidal Energy Technology
– Refrigeration and Air Conditioning
– Biomass Energy Technologies
– Energy and Environmental Law, Policy and Planning
– Petroleum technology
– Engineering Instrumentation I
– Drilling and Production Technology
– Hydropower Technology
– Electrical Systems
– Steam Power Plants and Turbines Technology
– Energy Management and Auditing
– External Practical Attachment
– Energy Transmission and Storage
– Coal Technology
– Project Planning and Management
– Research Project – Proposal
– Biofuels and Bioenergy Technology Bioenergy
– Energy Conservation and Sustainability
– Systems Approach to Energy Technologies
– Energy Policy and Planning
– Research Project – Implementation
– Environmental Impact Assessment & Audit
– Energy and Environmental Case Studies and Seminars
– Nuclear Energy Resources
– Entrepreneurship Skills
1. A candidate wishing to be admitted into the Bachelor of Science in Energy and
Environmental Technology degree programme must satisfy the minimum University
entry requirements and College of Engineering and Technology admission regulations.
2. In addition to the above, the candidate must have obtained a minimum grade C+ (plus)
in each of the following subjects: Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Biology or
Geography OR C+ (plus) in each of the following subjects: Physical Sciences,
Biological Sciences, Mathematics, and Geography or any of the Group IV subjects,
which are Home Science, Art and Design, Agriculture, Aviation Technology, Computer
Studies, Metal Work, Wood work, Building Construction, Power Mechanics, and
Electricity, at K.C.S.E. or its equivalent.
3. Alternatively, admission shall be granted to holders of Diploma or Higher National
Diploma in Engineering, Agriculture, Water, Pure and Applied Sciences and
Environmental Sciences or any other relevant course (with Credit and above) from
Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology or from other institutions
recognized by the University Senate. Such candidates shall enter the programme at the
second year of study for holders of Diploma or third year of study for holders of Higher
National Diploma in Engineering, Agriculture, Water, Pure and Applied Sciences and
Environmental Sciences or related fields, unless otherwise specified by the Department.
4. Holders of degrees in Engineering, Agriculture, Water, Pure and Applied Sciences and
Environmental Sciences from JKUAT or institutions recognised by JKUAT senate in
the above fields are also eligible for this programme.
How to Apply
Application Requirements for qualified students:
– A dully filled registration form – to be obtained from the offices/website upon payment of non-refundable fee.
– Two passport size photos.
– Copies of relevant certificates
Applications for the courses are on official application forms.
1. click to download JKUAT IT Department application form. or obtain a hand-copy from the office.
2. Pay a non-refundable application fee as follows:
– Certificates: Kshs500
– Diplomas: 1000
– Degrees: Kshs1,500
– Masters: 1,500
Bank Account Numbers:
– Standard Chartered Bank Account number 0108023434900
– Barclays Bank Account Number 0775001216
– Co-operative Bank of Kenya Account Number 01129098952900
– National Bank Account Number 0100359580600
– Equity Bank Account Number 0090291251426
Some career opportunities for this programme include:
– Amenity horticulturist.
– Commercial horticulturist.
– Environmental consultant.
– Environmental education officer.
– Environmental engineer.
– Environmental manager.
– Horticultural consultant.
– Horticultural therapist.
Array ( [ID] => 1631 [key] => field_5a5d9edc676a4 [label] => Tuition Fees Duration [name] => tuition_fees_duration [prefix] => acf [type] => select [value] => /year [menu_order] => 49 [instructions] => [required] => 0 [id] => [class] => [conditional_logic] => 0 [parent] => 169 [wrapper] => Array ( [width] => 50 [class] => [id] => ) [choices] => Array ( [/year] => /year [/month] => /month [/trimester] => /trimester [/semester] => /semester [for the full programme] => for the full programme ) [default_value] => Array ( ) [allow_null] => 0 [multiple] => 0 [ui] => 0 [ajax] => 0 [return_format] => value [placeholder] => [_name] => tuition_fees_duration [_valid] => 1 )Tuition Fees for Kenyan and East Africa Community Students: $1,851
Tuition Fees for Kenyan Students = Kshs203,742
Tuition Fees for International Students = Kshs244,490
**EAC (East African Community) Students pay the same amount as Kenyan students. Countries in the East African Community include; Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda.
NOTE: The tuition fees charged, may vary from programme to programme and from time to time, with foreign students paying 20% more that the Kenyan students.