By submitting this form, you give us consent to send your details to the school of your interest. This will allow the school to contact you and provide you with further information.
AfriUni.com will never sell or disclose your personal information to a third party without your consent. We will only provide your information to schools which you have requested information from via our site.
By disclosing your personal information by using this website, AfriUni.com will also send you an informative monthly email newsletter and may send other information regarding schools and courses we think will be of interest to you. You may opt out of receiving these emails at any time.
|Tuition Fees:||$808 /year|
|Applications Begin:||January 2021|
|Final Award:||Bachelor of Science in Economics|
|Start Date:||September 2021|
|Academic Unit:||Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences|
|Application Deadline:||August 2021|
Economics is a social science that studies the production, distribution and consumption of resources, goods and services. An interdisciplinary field, Economics draws from mathematics, psychology, history, philosophy and other disciplines to offer a logical framework to analyse and interpret problems, research trends and evaluate economic issues.
Whereas the field is conventionally classified into Microeconomics and Macroeconomics, it has other focal areas such as Econometrics, Developmental Economics, Behavioural Economics, Political Economics, Market Design, Bio economics, and Health & Education Economics. The ordered, logical way of examining issues associated with decision-making and choice makes economics applicable to a wide range of sectors including education, business, health, finance, local and national government.
– To train high quality graduates in Economics of international standard.
– To produce scholars with the ability and requisite skills to enter business and industry.
– To train graduates with solid research background in Economics, with the potential of advancing to higher innovative levels.
– To produce scholars who understand and appreciate the economic interdependence of nations in the modern world.
– To produce graduates who are in position to interpret and analyse effectively economic issues and problems confronting nations.
Given the scarcity of resources, Economics is critical to making sound decisions. By applying the right analytical methods and tools, economic dimensions could be studied and value-based decisions made. In a business; for instance, economic analysis can be used not only to forecast consumer demand, sales and profitability but also long term survival and competitiveness.
Similarly, economic principles can be used by governments to ascertain the best allocation of resources that will lead to access to adequate food, portable water, healthcare, educational opportunities and housing by its citizens; within a defined time period at a particular cost. In addition, Economics has become a prerequisite for studying progress of society or assessing any policy initiative. Strategic plans, business plans, impact assessments, project evaluation reports, and bilateral agreements are all presented in economic terms.
Presentations, Class Tests, Semester Examinations, Project Work
Senior Secondary School Certiﬁcate:
Passes in core English, core Mathematics, core Science and three elective subjects, with an aggregate score of 24 or better in the West African Examination Council (WAEC) or with an aggregate score of 36 or better in the West African Senior Secondary School Certiﬁcate Examinations (WASSCE). All passes must be at grade D (SSSCE) or grade C6 (WASSCE) or better.
General Certiﬁcate of Education:
An applicant must have at least credit-level passes in 5 subjects (including English Language and Mathematics) at the GCE Ordinary Level and at least 2 passes at the GCE Advanced Level. One of the advanced level passes must be grade ‘D’ or better. A pass in General Paper must also be obtained.
Diploma in Business Studies (DBS) with at least 3 Credits and 2 passes awarded by the Technical Examination Unit of GES. Other qualiﬁcations such as Private Secretary, and Bilingual Secretaryship are eligible.
Mature Student’s Entry Requirement:
Applicants without formal academic qualiﬁcations may be considered for admission if they are above 25 years old and have demonstrable relevant professional experience. Applicants will also be required to pass an entrance examination and / or an interview.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applicants may apply online by clicking http://online.central.edu.gh to buy an E-voucher for GH100.00 (for Ghanaian applicants) or the cedi equivalent of US 100.00 (for foreign applicants) at Ecobank branches. Use the PIN and SERIAL NUMBER on the E-voucher to apply online at apply.central.edu.gh. VISA branded cards and MTN Mobile Money can also be used to purchase E-vouchers online.
Applicants will be required to:
– Upload their 2 passport size photographs, certificates/ Results slips
– Present original copies of their supporting documents to the Admissions office before semester registration will be allowed.The applicants are advised to check thoroughly all details entered before finally submitting their online applications.
** A form once submitted can only be viewed but cannot be edited.
1. Paper Application forms can be obtained for GHC100.00 (Undergraduate) and GHC120 (Graduate) for Ghanaian applicants) and the cedi equivalent of USD 100.00 (Undergraduate and Graduate) (for foreign applicants) through the following:
2. By Banker’s Draft (in favour of Central University) from the Finance Office at the Mataheko and Kumasi campuses of the university, or from the permanent campus at Miotso, off the Accra-Aflao Road.
3. Ecobank, Zenith Bank and GCB Bank branches nationwide and from the 170 Ghana post office branches across the country.
4. Undergraduate application forms may also be downloaded HERE and completed. Applicants would have to pay GHC 100 for Ghanaian (undergraduate) and GHC120 (Graduate) (for Ghanaian applicants) or cedi equivalent of USD100 for foreign applicants, paid at the time of submission. Graduate application form can be downloaded HERE
**An applicant must submit the following at the time of application directly to the University:
– A completed Application Form
– An official Results Slip/Certificate
– Transcripts from previous Universities (where applicable). Such transcripts should be sent directly to the Admissions Officer. It is the responsibility of the applicant to arrange for transcript(s) and /or transfer form to be mailed and to ensure that they arrive promptly. Hand delivered transcript(s) are not acceptable.
**The completed paper application documents along with photographs, transcripts and certificates/results slips must be submitted to:
The Admissions Officer
(Off the Accra-Aflao Road)
P.O.Box 2305, Community
For further clarifications kindly call the Admissions Hotline: +233 303 318583 or email:firstname.lastname@example.org
Studying Economics opens up many diverse career opportunities in both the private and public sectors. These include:
– Financial ,investment and insurance sector;
– Industrial sector;
– Agricultural sector;
– Government sector;
– Research organisations;
– Educational sectors;
– Consultancy firms;
– Media and publishing firms;
– International organizations (World bank. IMF, EU, AU. ECOWAS) and Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs).
Array ( [ID] => 1631 [key] => field_5a5d9edc676a4 [label] => Tuition Fees Duration [name] => tuition_fees_duration [prefix] => acf [type] => select [value] => /year [menu_order] => 49 [instructions] => [required] => 0 [id] => [class] => [conditional_logic] => 0 [parent] => 169 [wrapper] => Array ( [width] => 50 [class] => [id] => ) [choices] => Array ( [/year] => /year [/month] => /month [/trimester] => /trimester [/semester] => /semester [for the full programme] => for the full programme ) [default_value] => Array ( ) [allow_null] => 0 [multiple] => 0 [ui] => 0 [ajax] => 0 [return_format] => value [placeholder] => [_name] => tuition_fees_duration [_valid] => 1 )Tuition Fees for Ghanaian Students: $808
Tuition Fees per year for Ghanaian Students = 4,674 GHS
Tuition Fess per year for International Students = 25,940 GHS
– Fee payments may be made at any Ecobank branch with cash or a Bankers Draft.
– Miscellaneous payments of less than GHC 35 may be made in cash at the Finance Office.
– All Freshmen students must pay all fees for a semester before the first day of class.
– Continuing students must pay ½ of total fees for the semester before the first day of class. The remaining fees must be paid within 4 weeks of the start of the semester. Payments not made by this deadline will incur a penalty. Please contact the Finance Office for more information on penalties.
IMPORTANT: Under no circumstances will students be allowed to take final exams until their fees for the semester have been paid in full.
PAYMENT FOR FEES BY INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS APPLICANTS
– International Students paying fees from their home country can pay via wire transfer into our Ecobank account with the details below.
– Nigerians in particular are advised to use Ecobank Nigeria since the transfer takes 1 day, as compared to other banks which take between 2 to 5 working days
– Fees received into this account will then be credited to the student’s account in the transflow,
– Student information required as part of the transfer information are;
**Fresh Students – Student’s Name and Applicant ID [Semester 1 only]
**Continuing Students – Student Name and Registration Number [ID Number]