By submitting this form, you give us consent to send your details to the school of your interest. This will allow the school to contact you and provide you with further information.
AfriUni.com will never sell or disclose your personal information to a third party without your consent. We will only provide your information to schools which you have requested information from via our site.
By disclosing your personal information by using this website, AfriUni.com will also send you an informative monthly email newsletter and may send other information regarding schools and courses we think will be of interest to you. You may opt out of receiving these emails at any time.
|Tuition Fees:||$909 /year|
|Applications Begin:||February 2021|
|Final Award:||Bachelor of Arts in Economics and Sociology|
|Start Date:||September 2021|
|Academic Unit:||Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences|
|Application Deadline:||October 2021|
The Bachelor of Arts Economics and Sociology programme combines the two related disciplines and requires students to be well grounded in both.
The main objectives of the programme are to:
i) Expose students to socio-economic issues and their consequences;
ii) Provide knowledge, practical skills;
iii) Prepare individuals to pursue careers in areas, such as management, public administration, industries and corporate world, Social work, journalism, law, community development and social welfare.
Course Structure and Duration
This programme is designed for students taking Sociology and Economics. To graduate the student must have done at least a minimum of 40 course units out of which 22 must be in economics. The B.A. Economics & Sociology shall require the students to complete a minimum of 24 economics course units, out of which at least 14 will be core courses.
All the examinations for this programme shall be conducted in accordance with examination regulations as stipulated in the Egerton University Statute XXVIII.
The grading of examinations for this programme shall be conducted in accordance within Egerton University Statute XXVIII.
To graduate a student shall be required to take and pass ALL scheduled courses within the stipulated period.
Degree classification shall be in accordance with Egerton University Statute XXVIII.
Applicants must satisfy the general minimum entry requirements for admission into the University. Additionally, applicants must have obtained at least a B- (minus) in Mathematics, or a C+ in Mathematics and a B (plain) in Economics/Commerce/ Accounting/Business Studies, in the KCSE, or its equivalent. Holders of A-level certificates must have at least principal passes in the two disciplines.
Required Documents to be attached during Application include:
– Certified copies of your Result Slip, Certificates and Transcripts.
– ORIGINAL RECEIPT (Application Fee): KShs. 2,000 for ALL Degree Programmes and Kshs. 1,000 for all Undergraduate Diploma Programmes: Payable to; Account Name; Egerton University, Kenya Commercial Bank; Account No:1108550703.
– Copy of your National ID Card or Birth Certificate.
Online application procedure
– Simply complete the Egerton University Online Application form and upload all the necessary documents, so that it can be processed by the administrative department
– The application will be complete once all the necessary fees have been paid.
Offline Application Procedure
– An Application form can be downloaded through the school website: http://www.egerton.ac.ke/index.php/Dean-of-Students/application-forms-and-resgistration-forms.html
– The application form must be fully filled and the relevant academic documents attached. It must be returned to the admissions office of the university according to the deadline set by the admissions office.
The Programme will prepare students for careers in:
– research institutions,
– Public and private sectors, among other job opportunities.
Graduates of the programme will also be:
– professional economists,
– sociologists or business people.
In the modern world, these specializations will continue to be in demand and thus enable graduates to market their skills internationally.
Array ( [ID] => 1631 [key] => field_5a5d9edc676a4 [label] => Tuition Fees Duration [name] => tuition_fees_duration [prefix] => acf [type] => select [value] => /year [menu_order] => 49 [instructions] => [required] => 0 [id] => [class] => [conditional_logic] => 0 [parent] => 169 [wrapper] => Array ( [width] => 50 [class] => [id] => ) [choices] => Array ( [/year] => /year [/month] => /month [/trimester] => /trimester [/semester] => /semester [for the full programme] => for the full programme ) [default_value] => Array ( ) [allow_null] => 0 [multiple] => 0 [ui] => 0 [ajax] => 0 [return_format] => value [placeholder] => [_name] => tuition_fees_duration [_valid] => 1 )Tuition Fees for Kenyan and East African Community Students: $909
Tuition Fees for Kenyan Students = Kshs. 100,000
Tuition Fees for International Students = Kshs. 130,000
**EAC (East African Community) Students pay the same amount as Kenyan students. Countries in the East African Community include; Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda.
– Foreign students out of the East African Community pay 30% more that the Kenyan students.
– The University reviews tuition fees on a regular basis.