By submitting this form, you give us consent to send your details to the school of your interest. This will allow the school to contact you and provide you with further information.
AfriUni.com will never sell or disclose your personal information to a third party without your consent. We will only provide your information to schools which you have requested information from via our site.
By disclosing your personal information by using this website, AfriUni.com will also send you an informative monthly email newsletter and may send other information regarding schools and courses we think will be of interest to you. You may opt out of receiving these emails at any time.
|Tuition Fees:||$909 /year|
|Applications Begin:||January 2021|
|Final Award:||Bachelor of Education and Early Childhood Development & Education|
|Start Date:||September 2021|
|Academic Unit:||Faculty of Education and Community Studies|
|Application Deadline:||October 2021|
Early childhood is the foundation stage for the development of human beings. Learning and developmental activities that take place during this stage have significant lifelong effect on the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual development of children. This stage, therefore, is important in the development of a healthy and well balanced adolescent and adult personality.
The design and implementation of the Bachelor of Education (B.Ed) degree programme in Early Childhood Development Education (ECDE) is a response to the need to have appropriately trained Educators in Early Childhood in Kenya in particular and the East African region in general. The proposed programme will bridge the gap created by scarcity of highly trained manpower in ECDE. At the same time, the programme will also increase access to university Education in the country.
High demand for qualified ECDE personnel has been exacerbated by the ever changing socio-economic conditions in Kenya and the rest of East Africa. An increasing number of parents and guardians are pursuing life supporting activities and therefore spend less time with their children when such children require parental care and guidance. There is. therefore, a definite need to prepare ECDE personnel who can play the roles of Educators and surrogate parents.
Indeed, over 50 percent of pre-school teachers in Kenya are untrained. Consequently, the Government of Kenya lays a lot of emphasis on the training of ECDE personnel. Such manpower will play a pivotal role in meeting the Educational and developmental needs of children. This programme will provide prospective ECDE personnel with the requisite knowledge, values, skills, attitudes and competencies that will enable them to effectively carry out the roles.
The aim of the B.Ed (ECDE) programme is to prepare the students into competent teachers of young children, accomplished trainers of teachers of ECDE, managers of ECDE institutions and programmes as well as officers of District Centres for Early Childhood Education (DICECE) and National Centre for Early Childhood Education (NACECE). Specifically, the programme will seek to attain the following objectives:
– To promote students* knowledge of holistic child development, including mental, capabilities, emotional and physical growth, spiritual, manipulation and self expression.
– To foster students’ understanding, sensitivity and appreciation of culture and environment as they relate to child rights, care, health and nutrition.
– To enhance in the students teaching and learning skills that are appropriate to young children, such as play and child-centred activity-based methods.
– To be informed about latest issues affecting ECDE teacher Education, research and ethics.
Course Structure and Duration
To qualify for the award of degree of Bachelor of Early Childhood Development Education, a student must have passed a minimum of 152.5 Credit Factors (CFs).
The programme will take four academic years for all students, except ECDE Diploma holders. Holders of ECDE Diplomas will benefit from credit Transfers of up to 30% of the courses in which case, they will take a shorter period but certainly not less than 2 Vs academic years.
All examinations for this programme shall be conducted in accordance with examination regulations as stipulated in the Egerton University Statute XXVIII
The grading of examinations for this programme shall be conducted in accordance with in Egerton University Statute XXVIII
To graduate a student shall be required to take and pass ALL scheduled courses within the stipulated period.
The Degree classification shall be in accordance with Egerton University Statute XXVIII.
The general University admission requirement of at least a KCSE certificate with a mean Grade of O shall apply. In addition, applicants must have scored at least grade C in the following subjects:
Either English or Kiswahili
Any one subject from: Mathematics or Physics or Chemistry or Physical Science
Any one subject from: History and Government. Geography. Religious Education or Social Education and Ethics.
Either Biology or Biological Sciences
Alternatively, applicants shall be admitted into the programme provided they hold either:
PI Teachers’ Certificate and at least a KCSE Certificate with a mean Grade of C plain or KCE Division II or RACE I principal and 2 Subsidiary passes
Diploma in Early Childhood Development Education from a recognized examining body.
Certificate in ECDE teaching from a recognized examining body and at least a KCSE Certificate with a mean Grade of C plain or KCE Division II or KACE 1 principal and 2 subsidiary passes.
KACE or its equivalent with at least 2 principal passes and 1 subsidiary pass.
Required Documents to be attached during Application include:
– Certified copies of your Result Slip, Certificates and Transcripts.
– ORIGINAL RECEIPT (Application Fee): KShs. 2,000 for ALL Degree Programmes and Kshs. 1,000 for all Undergraduate Diploma Programmes: Payable to; Account Name; Egerton University, Kenya Commercial Bank; Account No:1108550703.
– Copy of your National ID Card or Birth Certificate.
Online application procedure
– Simply complete the Egerton University Online Application form and upload all the necessary documents, so that it can be processed by the administrative department
– The application will be complete once all the necessary fees have been paid.
Offline Application Procedure
– An Application form can be downloaded through the school website: http://www.egerton.ac.ke/index.php/Dean-of-Students/application-forms-and-resgistration-forms.html
– The application form must be fully filled and the relevant academic documents attached. It must be returned to the admissions office of the university according to the deadline set by the admissions office.
Career opportunities for this programme include:
– Preschool teacher
– Teacher’s assistant
– Elementary school teacher
Array ( [ID] => 1631 [key] => field_5a5d9edc676a4 [label] => Tuition Fees Duration [name] => tuition_fees_duration [prefix] => acf [type] => select [value] => /year [menu_order] => 49 [instructions] => [required] => 0 [id] => [class] => [conditional_logic] => 0 [parent] => 169 [wrapper] => Array ( [width] => 50 [class] => [id] => ) [choices] => Array ( [/year] => /year [/month] => /month [/trimester] => /trimester [/semester] => /semester [for the full programme] => for the full programme ) [default_value] => Array ( ) [allow_null] => 0 [multiple] => 0 [ui] => 0 [ajax] => 0 [return_format] => value [placeholder] => [_name] => tuition_fees_duration [_valid] => 1 )Tuition Fees for Kenyan and East African Community Students: $909
Tuition Fees for Kenyan Students = Kshs. 100,000
Tuition Fees for International Students = Kshs. 130,000
**EAC (East African Community) Students pay the same amount as Kenyan students. Countries in the East African Community include; Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda.
– Foreign students out of the East African Community pay 30% more that the Kenyan students.
– The University reviews tuition fees on a regular basis.