By submitting this form, you give us consent to send your details to the school of your interest. This will allow the school to contact you and provide you with further information.
AfriUni.com will never sell or disclose your personal information to a third party without your consent. We will only provide your information to schools which you have requested information from via our site.
By disclosing your personal information by using this website, AfriUni.com will also send you an informative monthly email newsletter and may send other information regarding schools and courses we think will be of interest to you. You may opt out of receiving these emails at any time.
|Tuition Fees:||$2,523 for the full programme|
|Part-time Study:||2 Years|
|Applications Begin:||April 2021|
|Final Award:||Master of Arts (MA)|
|Start Date:||January 2022|
|Academic Unit:||Faculty of Humanities|
|Course Type:||Master by Coursework & Research Report|
|Application Deadline:||30 June 2021|
The Wits Programme in Demography and Population Studies offers an interdisciplinary graduate teaching and research in demography and population studies. Demography as an academic discipline seeks to explore the dynamics of human populations in relation to the changes in their sizes, structures and distributions. Population changes have implications for the environment, employment, work, family relations, health, ageing and urbanization to mention just a few.
This Masters programme has the following courses:
– SOSS 7012A Introduction to Population Studies;
– SOSS 7003A Basic Demographic Methods;
– SOSS 7070A Statistics for Demographic and Survey Analysis (compulsory);
– SOSS 7010A Research Report (compulsory);
– SOSS 7018A Migration and Spatial Demography (elective);
– SOSS 7072A Demography of Fertility and Reproduction (elective)
Students are required to complete 3 courses and the research report.
Masters by Coursework and Research Report:
A bachelors degree with honours from Wits or another university with a 65% total mark aggregate.
Additional Entry Requirements
Students must have achieved at least 65% in their Honours degree courses and should ideally have completed the Honours degree in Demography & Population Studies.
How to apply
– Applications are handled centrally by the Student Enrolment Centre (SEnC). Once your application is complete in terms of requested documentation, your application will be referred to the relevant School for assessment. Click here to see an overview of the Wits applications process.
– Please apply online. Upload your supporting documents at the time of application, or via the Self Service Portal.
– Applicants can monitor the progress of their applications via the Self Service Portal, view academic application status, accept an offer (once certified hardcopies have been received by SEnC), apply and check residence application status, and generate a fees estimate.
– Selections for programmes that have a limited intake but attract a large number of applications may only finalise the application at the end of the application cycle.
Some career opportunities are;
– Data Analyst. Top Locations:
– Research Assistant. Top Locations:
– Analyst. Top Locations:
– Researcher. Top Locations:
– Senior Data Analyst- Top Locations.
Array ( [ID] => 1631 [key] => field_5a5d9edc676a4 [label] => Tuition Fees Duration [name] => tuition_fees_duration [prefix] => acf [type] => select [value] => for the full programme [menu_order] => 49 [instructions] => [required] => 0 [id] => [class] => [conditional_logic] => 0 [parent] => 169 [wrapper] => Array ( [width] => 50 [class] => [id] => ) [choices] => Array ( [/year] => /year [/month] => /month [/trimester] => /trimester [/semester] => /semester [for the full programme] => for the full programme ) [default_value] => Array ( ) [allow_null] => 0 [multiple] => 0 [ui] => 0 [ajax] => 0 [return_format] => value [placeholder] => [_name] => tuition_fees_duration [_valid] => 1 )Tuition Fees for South African & SADC Students: $2,523
*Students from the Southern African Development Community (SADC) member countries pay the same annual tuition fees as South Africans plus an International Registration Fee (IRF). The SADC member countries are Angola, Botswana, Democratic Republic of Congo, Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Seychelles, Swaziland, Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
*Students sponsored by the Government of Rwanda will be treated as and pay the same amount as SADC students.
*Students from all other countries (Non-SADC) will pay the same amount as South African Students
*Diplomats and their dependents stationed in South Africa & International Wits employees and their dependents will pay South African tuition fees + International Registration Fee (IRF).