|Tuition Fees:||$7,823 for the full programme|
|Applications Begin:||June 2020|
|Final Award:||Bachelor of Commerce|
|Start Date:||September 2020|
|Academic Unit:||School of Business|
|Application Deadline:||30 September 2020|
The Bachelor of Commerce (B.Com) degree programme of the University of Nairobi prepares undergraduate students for careers in business management both in the public and private sectors of the economy. Since its inception in 1964, the programme has offered management education to a broad spectrum of students from the Eastern Africa region and beyond. To improve on its utility, the programme has developed six distinct options:
– Human Resources Management
– Business Information Systems;
– Procurement and Supply Chain Management;
– Operations Management.
Each one of these options are addressing the unique needs of our society. Flexible schedules make the program more accessible. The program is offered on full-time, part-time and distance learning modes. The part time and distance learning programmes are designed to accomodate the special needs of those in full-time employment and other demands.
The programme is both academic and practical in its orientation. The teaching method methods applied include lecturers, tutorials, assignments, class discussions, case analysis and research. Students are evaluated on the basis of class attendance and participation, performance in assignments, tests and in final examinations done at the end of each semester. Links with the business community, industry and other business schools provide an important component.
– To introduce students to the general issues and approaches to management.
– To enhance self-confidence and ability to critically evaluate management issues from academic and practical perspectives.
– To develop awareness of the changing local and international business environments.
– To prepare students for advancement in their fields of specialization.
– To instil problem-solving attitudes and business ethics in the practice of management.
– To inculcate entrepreneurial and self-reliance attitudes and habits in students so that they may be active participants in the creation of new wealth.
The BCom programme is both academic and practical in its orientation and enriched by linkages with the business community, industry and other business schools.
The BCom Programme is offered in three modes, that is Module I or Regular which is for Government sponsored students, Module II (day and evening) and Module III (Distance Learning) which are for self-sponsored students.
– Module I will run for eight semesters of 15 weeks each
– Each course unit in the programme has a loading of a minimum of 45 hours.
– Module II will run for a minimum of eight semesters of 15 weeks each and a maximum of 24 semesters from the date of registration.
– The minimum semester load shall be 2 course units and maximum shall be 6 course units. Each course unit in the programme has a loading of a minimum of 45 hours.
Module III (Distance Learning
– This Module is offered off-campus using multimedia approach in distance education.
– The main media of instruction will be print and electronic study materials.
– The study materials shall be self-instructional.
– There will be use of limited face-to-face contact during the residential sessions.
– Face-to-face delivery mode shall not exceed one third of the instructional time.
– Counselling and guidance shall be provided using multi-media approach.
– The module will run for a minimum of eight semesters of 24 weeks each and a maximum of 24 semesters from the date of registration.
– The minimum semester load shall be two course units and the maximum shall be six course units.
– Each course unit in the programme has a loading of a minimum of 70 hours.
Structure of the programme
– The programme is organized into two parts, Part I consisting of Year/Level I and Year/Level II; and Part II consisting of Year/Level III and Year/Level IV.
– To qualify for the award of Bachelor of Commerce degree, a candidate must successfully complete a minimum of 46 course units.
– The course units are divided into common, core, specialization, and elective course units that are organized as follows:
Admission to the Bachelor of Commerce degree will be governed by the common regulations of the bachelor’s degree of the University of Nairobi and specifically any one of the following Senate approved qualifications:
– Holder of KCSE certificate with a minimum mean grade of C+ plus a minimum of C in both Mathematics and English/Kiswahili;
– Holder of KCSE certificate with a minimum mean grade of C+ plus a minimum of B in bridging course offered in the University of Nairobi with at least a C- in the subject at KCSE.
– Holder of KCSE certificate with a minimum mean grade of C or O-level Division III plus a diploma from a recognized institution.
– Holder of KCSE certificate with a minimum mean grade of C or O-level Division III plus CPA/CPS Part II or equivalent professional qualification.
– Holder of KCSE with a minimum mean grade of C- plus a Certificate and Diploma from a recognized institution.
– Holder of KACE certificate with a minimum of two principal passes plus a minimum of a credit pass in Mathematics at KCE.
– Holder of KACE certificate with a minimum of two subsidiary passes plus a Diploma from a recognized institution.
* Holder of a degree from a recognized university.
*Holder of qualifications deemed to be equivalent to any of the above.
How to Apply:
Applicants should visit = https://application.uonbi.ac.ke/ to apply Online
University of Nairobi has three intakes in an Academic year. Main intake being in September/October for all the courses and December/January for Bachelor of Education(Arts), Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Commerce, Bachelor of Hospitality Management, Bachelor of Travel and Tourism April/May for Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Education(Arts), Bachelor of Education Early Childhood, Bachelor of Commerce, Bachelor of Economics ,Bachelor of Economics and Statistics ,Bachelor of Journalism and media Studies, Bachelor of Art Broadcast Production, Bachelor of Hospitality Management, Bachelor of Travel and Tourism, Bachelor of Arts Broadcast Production and all Diploma and Certificate courses.
Career opportunities for this programme include:
– Chartered Accountants
– Chartered Financial Analyst
– Company Secretary
– Loans executive
– Human Resource manager
– Certified Financial Planner
– Venture capitalist
Array ( [ID] => 1631 [key] => field_5a5d9edc676a4 [label] => Tuition Fees Duration [name] => tuition_fees_duration [prefix] => acf [type] => select [value] => for the full programme [menu_order] => 49 [instructions] => [required] => 0 [id] => [class] => [conditional_logic] => 0 [parent] => 169 [wrapper] => Array ( [width] => 50 [class] => [id] => ) [choices] => Array ( [/year] => /year [/month] => /month [/trimester] => /trimester [/semester] => /semester [for the full programme] => for the full programme ) [default_value] => Array ( ) [allow_null] => 0 [multiple] => 0 [ui] => 0 [ajax] => 0 [return_format] => value [placeholder] => [_name] => tuition_fees_duration [_valid] => 1 )Tuition Fees for Kenyan Students: $7,823
Tuition Fees for Kenyan Students = 845,000 KES
Tuition Fees for International Students = 1,014,000 KES
**This programme will be completed after a duration of 3 years, with fees per semester as follows:
– First Semester = 307,500 KES
– Semesters 2,3,5,6,8,9 = 240,000 KES
– Semesters 4,7,10 = 297,500 KES
International Students pay 20% more than the Kenyan Students.