|Tuition Fees:||$0 /year|
|Applications Begin:||May 2020|
|Final Award:||Bachelor of Science in Business Information Systems|
|Start Date:||September 2020|
|Academic Unit:||Faculty of Computing and Information Systems|
|Application Deadline:||September 2020|
BSc. Business Information Systems (BIS) is aimed at applicants who wish to advance their skills in computing and business. Today’s businesses are faced with the challenges rising from global competition and technological change. Students are prepared for meeting these challenges by teaching the fundamentals of software development and application that will drive business strategy and competitiveness in an international market.
The course is adaptive, responding to the demands of global business to equip graduates with the required knowledge and skills to fulfill business needs. The course explores the topical areas such as of modern web development, business intelligence, programming, big data, cloud computing and simulation.
The key competencies developed by BSc. BIS include skills in critical analysis; application of software development, communication with technical and none technical audiences, theories and concepts to diverse real-world scenarios; intercultural competences and digital literacy.
The course aims to:
– provide a range of transferable professional skills including teamwork, autonomous work and learning, critical thinking, professional literacy, intercultural competencies that a graduate needs to enter graduate level employment in a computing or business and information technology environment in private, pubic and third sectors within and beyond Ghana.
– equip students with an international outlook range of knowledge and skills that emphasis information systems, information technology, and project management within diverse business and organisational contexts
– critically evaluate the use and development of current technologies in business and support the analysis and design of policy and practice in business
Intended Learning Outcome
– Learning to Learn – Students should be ready to accept responsibility for their own independent learning. They should also be able to reflect on their learning and appraise their capabilities and achievements. Students should also be able to identify their individual needs for effective learning.
– Working with Others – Students should be able to work effectively as part of a group and respect the dignity, rights and needs of others.
– Problem Solving and Innovation – Students should be able to use problem-solving skills in a variety of practical situations. They should be able to demonstrate creativity, flexibility, perception, decisiveness, confidence and an awareness of values.
– Numeracy – Students should be able to interpret, analyse and present numerical data.
– IT and Online Learning – Students should be able to use computer-based systems for learning, communicating, collaborating with peers and tutors and working with data.
– Communication – Students should be able to communicate effectively in appropriate forms in a wide variety of situations.
– Career Management – Students should appreciate the values, culture, structure and process of work organisations relevant to their area of study. Students should also appropriately match their experience and academic achievements to employer expectations.
– Information Management – Students should be able to carry out research relevant to their field of study by retrieving and using information drawn from a variety of resources.
– Personal Development Planning – Students should be able to demonstrate self-awareness, set personal goals and record achievement.
– Enterprise Information Systems
– IT Service and Infrastructure Management
– Emerging Technologies
– Introduction to Computer Security
– Introduction to Computing
– Logic and Sets
– Operational Research
– Developing the Modern Web
– Real World Project
– Operating Systems, Security and Networks
– Programming, Algorithms and Data Structures
– Database Design, Management and Application
– Systems Development
– Security and Compliance in the Cloud
– Individual Project
– Information Technology and Global Development
– Hi-Tech Entrepreneurship
– Web API Development
– Project Management
Criteria for Admission
Candidates for admission to the various courses will normally be expected to satisfy the general admission requirements of the University as specified in the Academic Regulations. This requires achieving either:
– Senior Secondary School Certificate (SSSCE) and WASSCE holders: Passes in six (6) subjects with an aggregate score of 24 or better including English, Integrated Science, Mathematics or Social Studies in the relevant areas of study.
– General Certificate of Education (GCE) holders: Five (5) credit passes at GCE Ordinary Level including English and Mathematics. Passes at the GCE Advanced Level in three (3) subjects with grade D or better in the relevant field of study.
– Other Qualifications: International Baccalaureate (IB), IGCSE, GCSE, the American Grades 12 and 13 examinations, etc. which are equivalent to the SSSCE and GCE.
– Holders of verifiable qualifications in courses of approved content in relevant field of study from recognized institutions. This is assessed on individual basis.
– Mature Students: Mature applicants must be 25 years and above at the time of submitting the application, be in gainful employment and pass an entrance examination and interview.
– ‘Top Up’ Applicants: Higher National Diploma (HND) from a recognized polytechnic with at least 2nd Class Lower Division and holders of verifiable diplomas from accredited tertiary institutions. This will be assessed on individual basis.
– International Students: International students may be considered for admission if they hold qualifications equivalent to those stated above, and demonstrate a competence to study using the English Language. In addition to the above entry qualification, the applicant shall be required to produce two letters of recommendation from his/her high school.
– Admission criteria are set and monitored by Coventry University. Applications with non-standard qualifications are sent to the Faculty of Engineering and Computing in Coventry University for a decision.
Offline Application Procedure
Application forms for admission could be obtained at the GTUC Information Centre, Tesano – Accra, the Kumasi Campus near Ahodwo roundabout, Koforidua Campus Charley Junction, Ho Learning Centre, Vodafone Regional Head Office, Takoradi Learning Centre, Vodafone Regional Office and at the website www.gtuc.edu.gh here.
Applicants should please note that application submitted will not be processed until the cost of application form of GH¢150.00 is settled with banker’s draft from any bank.
Completed application forms with certified copies of Certificates / result slips should be submitted to the admissions offices before the closing date.
Online Application Procedure
– Purchase a voucher nationwide at Ghana Commercial Bank (GCB) at GH120.00 through the SMART _ PAY platformVisit GTUC website: www.gtuc.edu.gh and click on online application
– Enter the Serial Number and Pin on the voucher
– Complete application form, scan and attach your passport sized photograph and relevant documents
– Print a copy of the completed form and submit to GTUC Admissions Office
Career opportunities for this programme include:
– Application analyst
– Cyber security analyst
– Data analyst
– Data scientist
– Database administrator
– Information systems manager
– IT consultant
– IT technical support officer
– Penetration tester
– Software engineer
– Systems analyst
Array ( [ID] => 1631 [key] => field_5a5d9edc676a4 [label] => Tuition Fees Duration [name] => tuition_fees_duration [prefix] => acf [type] => select [value] => /year [menu_order] => 49 [instructions] => [required] => 0 [id] => [class] => [conditional_logic] => 0 [parent] => 169 [wrapper] => Array ( [width] => 50 [class] => [id] => ) [choices] => Array ( [/year] => /year [/month] => /month [/trimester] => /trimester [/semester] => /semester [for the full programme] => for the full programme ) [default_value] => Array ( ) [allow_null] => 0 [multiple] => 0 [ui] => 0 [ajax] => 0 [return_format] => value [placeholder] => [_name] => tuition_fees_duration [_valid] => 1 )Tuition Fees for Ghanaian Students: $0
Tuition Fees per year for Ghanaian Students =
Tuition Fees per year for International Students =
– Fresh students are required to pay full semester fees before or during registration
– Continuing students are required to pay at least 60% of their fees on or before the day of registration. Failure to pay the required 60% percent by the end of second week after the beginning of the semester in question will attract a penalty of GH¢200.00.