By submitting this form, you give us consent to send your details to the school of your interest. This will allow the school to contact you and provide you with further information.
AfriUni.com will never sell or disclose your personal information to a third party without your consent. We will only provide your information to schools which you have requested information from via our site.
By disclosing your personal information by using this website, AfriUni.com will also send you an informative monthly email newsletter and may send other information regarding schools and courses we think will be of interest to you. You may opt out of receiving these emails at any time.
|Tuition Fees:||$1,272 /year|
|Applications Begin:||March 2021|
|Final Award:||Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry|
|Start Date:||September 2021|
|Academic Unit:||Faculty of Science|
|Application Deadline:||October 2021|
There is a wide range of research and industrial concerns that are increasingly making use of Biochemistry and Biomedical Sciences to solve a variety of problems.
The overall purpose of the B.Sc. in Biochemistry programme is to prepare graduates for scientific and technical roles in the above fields. The course provides a flexible approach to enable students take electives suited to their needs.
At the end of the programme, the students will be expected to:
i) have acquired necessary theoretical and practical skills in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology and Biomedical Science to enable them engage in gainful self-employment such as consultancy.
ii) provide the skilled manpower required by Biomedical and Agro-based research and development Institutions, Institutions of higher learning and Industry; hence contributing to national economic growth.
iii) have acquired the necessary theoretical and practical competencies in Biochemistry to enable them undertake post-graduate studies in recognized Institutions of higher learning.
Course Structure and Duration
The programme shall extend over a duration of four academic years each consisting of two semesters of 15 weeks of teaching and 2 weeks of examination. Students must take all scheduled courses in a given Semester and appear for all examinations.
The course coding BIOC, standing for Biochemistry, followed by 3 digits is as described for the other programmes offered by the department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology.
The Course codes used are;
BIOC, which stands for Biochemistry followed by 3 digits as described below.
Digit 1, indicates the study year course is offered or level of the course
Digit 2, indicates nature or sub discipline of the course within the discipline.
Level 0 Introductory courses
Level 1 Principles courses
Digit 3, indicates serial number for courses in the respective disciplines.
All Examinations for the programme shall be conducted in accordance to the University Rules and Regulations on Examinations. For the units on Industrial Attachment (BIOC 308) and Seminar (BIOC 407) the students will be assessed while in the field by both field supervisors and departmental lecturers with each group awarding a maximum of 30% and 40%, respectively. The students will also be required to write a report that will carry a maximum of 30%.
The grading of examinations for this programme shall be conducted in accordance with in Egerton University Statute XXIX.
To graduate a student shall be required to take and pass ALL scheduled courses within the stipulated period.
Degree classification shall be in accordance with Egerton University Statute XXIX.
To be eligible for admission, candidates must satisfy the minimum entry requirements as set out by Egerton University Statute
In addition, candidates must have passed the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education or its equivalent with a minimum grade as follows:-
Chemistry B or Physical Science B+
Physics B or Physical Science B+
Biology B or Biological Science B+
Alternatively, candidates with the following minimum A level passes will be considered-principal pass in each of the following subjects: Chemistry; Physics; Biology; Mathematics.
Have any other qualifications accepted by Egerton University Senate as equivalent.
Required Documents to be attached during Application include:
– Certified copies of your Result Slip, Certificates and Transcripts.
– ORIGINAL RECEIPT (Application Fee): KShs. 2,000 for ALL Degree Programmes and Kshs. 1,000 for all Undergraduate Diploma Programmes: Payable to; Account Name; Egerton University, Kenya Commercial Bank; Account No:1108550703.
– Copy of your National ID Card or Birth Certificate.
Online application procedure
– Simply complete the Egerton University Online Application form and upload all the necessary documents, so that it can be processed by the administrative department
– The application will be complete once all the necessary fees have been paid.
Offline Application Procedure
– An Application form can be downloaded through the school website: http://www.egerton.ac.ke/index.php/Dean-of-Students/application-forms-and-resgistration-forms.html
– The application form must be fully filled and the relevant academic documents attached. It must be returned to the admissions office of the university according to the deadline set by the admissions office.
Employment opportunities for graduates of Biochemistry therefore exist in the following areas:
– Biomedical research institutes and hospital establishments;
– Agro-Industries and agro – based research institutes;
– Pharmaceutical Industries and Diagnostic laboratories;
– Health service environmental agencies in a variety of paramedical fields, brewing, food and other fermentation industries;
Array ( [ID] => 1631 [key] => field_5a5d9edc676a4 [label] => Tuition Fees Duration [name] => tuition_fees_duration [prefix] => acf [type] => select [value] => /year [menu_order] => 49 [instructions] => [required] => 0 [id] => [class] => [conditional_logic] => 0 [parent] => 169 [wrapper] => Array ( [width] => 50 [class] => [id] => ) [choices] => Array ( [/year] => /year [/month] => /month [/trimester] => /trimester [/semester] => /semester [for the full programme] => for the full programme ) [default_value] => Array ( ) [allow_null] => 0 [multiple] => 0 [ui] => 0 [ajax] => 0 [return_format] => value [placeholder] => [_name] => tuition_fees_duration [_valid] => 1 )Tuition Fees for Kenyan and East African Community Students: $1,272
Tuition Fees for Kenyan Students = Kshs. 140,000
Tuition Fees for International Students = Kshs. 182,000
**EAC (East African Community) Students pay the same amount as Kenyan students. Countries in the East African Community include; Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda.
– Foreign students out of the East African Community pay 30% more that the Kenyan students.
– The University reviews tuition fees on a regular basis.